Association for the Psychoanalysis of Culture & Society
2019 APCS Annual Conference
Conference Lodging and Transportation
General Conference Information
All participants are expected to register for the conference. Your registration must be received by September 14 in order for you to be listed in the conference program. There is discount for early registration.
- Conference registration now includes a 2020 APCS membership. Benefits include annual subscription to our journal, Psychoanalysis, Culture & Society, published quarterly.
- Your registration includes refreshment breaks, lunch both days, dinner on Friday evening, and wine and cheese reception on Saturday evening.
- We will have an LCD projector available in all meeting rooms. You will need to provide your own laptop or ensure that someone on your panel has a suitable laptop. Conference Room A is equipped with a ceiling mounted LCD projector, screen, podium and microphone. Conference Rooms B, C, D, E, F, and the Scarlet APR all have flat screen TVs instead of LCD projectors and screens. All are equipped for sound and video. Mac users and users of ultra-thin PC laptops please provide your own dongle for connection.
- Sessions at the conference are 90 minutes in length. Please ensure that presenters speak for no more than 15 mins so that a good amount of time is available for discussion. If you need us to supply a moderator for your panel we will be glad to do so if you let us know. We will provide a moderator for all paper sessions to introduce speakers, keep track of time, and moderate discussion.
- The conference will take place at Rutgers University Inn and Conference Center. Rutgers is located in New Brunswick, New Jersey, 45 mins. South of New York City.
- The nearest airport is Newark International, but transit is available also from LaGuardia and JFK. The Rutgers University Inn and Conference Center has extensive travel assistance on its website. The information includes very specific advice on using navigation devices, as well as details on public transit and limousine service from Newark airport.
- If you arrive at LaGuardia or JFK, you can take shuttle service or public transit to Penn Station and then take a train to New Brunswick. Click here for the link to NJ Transit for New Brunswick train schedules.
- From JFK take the AirTrain and link to LIRR directly to Penn Station, or, for cheaper option take Airtrain and link to E train to NYC. Click here for subway map.
- Note, in New Brunswick you can take a taxi from the train station to The Rutgers University Inn and Conference Center, but there is also a free shuttle bus available. Click here for shuttle details. After you click, scroll to the top of the page and choose either Bus Route EE or Bus Route F. Either bus will take you to the Continuing Studies Conference Center. Exit either bus at Katzenbach bus stop.
- If your are interested in a car pool or need a ride, hit “reply all” to this email and post a request to conference participants.
- If you need further assistance please contact:
Rutgers University Inn and Conference Center
178 Ryders Lane
New Brunswick, NJ 08901 Main Phone: 732-932-9144
Main Fax: 732-932-6952
On-campus accommodation: A limited number of rooms are available at the
Rutgers University Inn and Conference Center where the APCS conference is held. Single rooms are $100 per night, and doubles are $120 ($60/pp). Breakfast and free wifi are included. Once paid, this fee is non-refundable. If you wish to reserve a room please contact Marilyn Charles as soon as possible at email@example.com as rooms sell out quickly.
Rooms are available on a first come first served basis, with preference given to those needing multiple nights. If you would like to reserve a room and would like a roommate to share costs, please let Marilyn know when you make your reservation. The procedure is as follows:
- Submit a request for a room to Marilyn [single or double; requesting a roommate or not]. Indicate which nights you wish to book [rooms available Oct. 19, 20, 21]. If you have identified a roommate, please advise her of the name of that person.
- Only after Marilyn confirms that a room meeting your requirements is available will payment be processed.
- Once you receive that confirmation immediately make the payment through the Rutgers University Inn website https://inn.rutgers.edu/sleep/make-reservation
- Your room should not be considered reserved until you receive a confirmation of payment received. Room payments are non refundable.
- Room payments cannot be added to your PayPal conference registration. Rooms can only be processed through the procedure described here. Thank you.
HILTON EAST BRUNSWICK HOTEL & EXECUTIVE MEETING CENTER:
APCS has reserved a small block of rooms at the Hilton East Brunswick and they offer a preferential rate of Single/Double Occupancy: $ 119.00 [plus 15% tax]. Please note, a limited number of rooms is reserved until 3rdOctober at this preferential rate, so early booking is advisable.
Click here for general hotel information. The hotel is not in downtown New Brunswick, but is a short taxi ride from campus. Some of our members have used it and found it quieter than downtown ones, particularly on football weekends. On-site parking is available for a small fee and there is complimentary WiFi in all guest rooms and lobby public area, Fitness Center, Sauna, and Indoor Heated Pool.
RESERVATION METHOD: Reservations will be made by individuals call in. When calling in for reservations guests must call 1-800-445-8667 and ask for the reservations in the Association for Psychoanalysis, Culture and Society room block to ensure attaining the special rate for any or all three nights, October 24-25-26, 2019. To book online, please use the following Booking Link:
Should you need additional nights please contact the hotel directly or make the additional reservation the usual way on the web. We recommend you not wait too long to reserve your room as the room block that we have reserved is not large. In the event that the link does not produce a reservation please contact the hotel directly for assistance, if that doesn’t work email firstname.lastname@example.org and I will communicate with the reservations manager.